Are you a diverse* law student committed to a career in public interest and social justice. Will you be sitting for the upcoming Summer 2021 California Bar Exam? Do you envision working as an attorney in California, with a goal of creating a more just and representative justice system?
If so, then we want to support you- the brightest ChangeLawyers of tomorrow, by eliminating the roadblocks that exist between you and success- one of them being the costs related to California Bar Exam related costs.
We believe that a state as diverse as California needs a justice system led by advocates of all backgrounds. That’s why we invest in bright, diverse scholars, every day, to ensure that they have the opportunity to become tomorrow's legal changemakers.
If selected, you will receive a a $5,000 cash award scholarship.
This application will close on February 16th, 2021 at 5:00 PM (PST.) Applications must be fully submitted by this deadline. There will be no exceptions or extensions provided.
Scholarship recipients must attend an all-day event in April of 2021. Due to the pandemic, this event will likely be online. Scholarship recipients must also attend, at minimum, one- co-sponsor event.
*Diversity includes a broad array of backgrounds and life experiences, including students from groups or with skills or attributes that are underrepresented in the legal profession, and specifically including students from socially and economically disadvantaged backgrounds, particularly those that have overcome adversity.
1. Candidate must be:
a. Recently graduated (2020 or 2021); and
b. sitting for the California Bar Exam in the Summer of 2021.
2. Demonstrate and document commitment to social justice and public service and intent to pursue legal career in California after law school.
3. Demonstrate financial need.
4. Maintain at least a 2.2 GPA or equivalent on a 4.0 scale (or provide an explanation of extenuating circumstances if GPA is lower than 2.2).
5. Candidate must provide documentation of:
a. Candidate’s actual or anticipated graduation date.
b. Good ethical standing of Candidate while attending law school.
c. Candidate’s financial need.
6. Submit one signed letter of recommendation supporting Candidate’s commitment to public interest/social justice, or related area of interest.
7. ChangeLawyer alums (1L scholars or fellows) are eligible and encouraged to apply for the 3L Diversity Scholarship;
1. Important: California ChangeLawyers reserves the right to use information from winner's applications as part of its publicity of the 3L Diversity Scholarship and for general marketing efforts. Please note this as you write your essay and provide other information.
2. 3L Diversity Scholarship Recipients must:
● Demonstrate commitment to public service and social justice.
● Be willing to take a leadership role in fostering diversity among the next generation of law students through discrete volunteer engagements with the ChangeLawyers.
● Report back to the ChangeLawyers on the progress of both of these in 2021 and beyond.
● Report bar results to ChangeLawyers.
● Attend ChangeLawyers scholarship event and co-sponsored event.