Are you a law student committed to becoming a legal changemaker? Are you a recent law school graduate or soon to be law grad who will be taking the California Bar Exam for the first time in 2024? Do you envision working as an attorney in California, with a goal of creating a more just and representative justice system?
If so, then we want to support you, the brightest changemakers of tomorrow, by eliminating the roadblocks that exist between you and success, including the costs related to the California Bar Exam.
If selected for the ChangeLawyers Next Gen Scholarship, you will receive a $5,000 cash award.
In addition to this scholarship, Next Gen scholars will receive access to exclusive programming from ChangeLawyers including but not limited to: Bar exam coaching, mentorship access, exclusive bar prep discounts, and support from/access to our over 1,300 ChangeLawyers alumni.
Each $5,000 scholarship is made possible through the partnership of California ChangeLawyers and a co-sponsor (affinity bar association, memorial fund, etc.)
This application will close on March 4, 2024 at 5 PM. Applications must be fully submitted by this deadline.
Applicants will be informed of whether they have been selected by the end of March.
At this time, all scholarship recipients will be required to attend an all-day event in the Los Angeles area, to receive their scholarship. This event is tentatively scheduled towards the end of April.
A stipend to cover the cost of travel to the annual event will be provided to scholars, and will be reflected as an addition to the $5,000 scholarship.
Scholarship recipients must also attend, at minimum, one co-sponsor event.
1. Candidate must be:
a. Recent law school graduate (2023) or soon to graduate (2024);
b. FIRST-TIME test taker sitting for the July 2024 California Bar Exam; and
c. Committed to practicing law in California upon passing the bar
2. Demonstrate a clear commitment to building a better justice system
3. Demonstrate financial need
4. Maintain at least a 2.2 GPA or equivalent on a 4.0 scale (or provide an explanation of extenuating circumstances if GPA is lower than 2.2)
5. Provide documentation of:
a. Candidate’s actual or anticipated graduation date
b. Good ethical standing of Candidate while attending law school
c. Candidate’s financial need
6. Submit one signed letter of recommendation supporting Candidate’s commitment to building a better justice system, or related area of interest.
Please note that ChangeLawyer alums (1L scholars or fellows) are eligible and encouraged to apply for the 3L Next Gen Scholarship.
1. Important: California ChangeLawyers reserves the right to use information from winner's applications as part of its publicity of the 3L Next Gen Scholarship and for general marketing efforts. Please keep this in mind as you write your essay and provide other information.
2. 3L Next Gen Scholarship Recipients must:
● Demonstrate commitment to building a better justice system.
● Be willing to take a leadership role in supporting the next generation of law students through discrete volunteer engagements with ChangeLawyers.
● Report back to ChangeLawyers on their progress in both in 2024 and beyond.
● Report bar results to ChangeLawyers.
● Attend ChangeLawyers scholarship event and co-sponsored event.