IMMIGRATION LEGAL FELLOWSHIP ANNOUNCEMENT
The Immigration Legal Fellowship is the first-ever state funded legal fellowship program. The Fellowship aims to develop the organizational capacity of legal service providers and increase the number of qualified immigration attorneys able to provide legal services in underserved areas of the state such as the Central Coast and Central Valley.
California ChangeLawyers is partnering with the California Department of Social Services, immigrant rights organizations, including Immigrant Legal Resource Center (ILRC), to provide two-year fellowships to up to 10 attorneys or law graduates committed to providing immigration legal services in either California’s Central Coast or Central Valley. There will be a strong preference for candidates pursuing legal careers in those regions beyond the term of the Fellowship.
Immigration Legal Fellows will receive intensive legal training on immigration law, particularly removal defense representation, and immigrant rights as well as hands-on experience representing clients before federal agencies and the immigration court.
Fellows will be placed in host organizations in either the Central Coast or Central Valley region. Each host organization will act as the Employer of the Fellows for the duration of the Fellowship. Each Fellow may be assigned a Mentor Attorney who will provide guidance, technical assistance, and mentorship through the two-year fellowship. Fellows will be treated as a cohort and have access to leadership development and networking opportunities provided by California ChangeLawyers as well as ongoing legal training with the ILRC.
Fellowship Duties will include:
*Please note these activities will likely be virtual for the first portion of the fellowship and shift to in-person meetings and court appearances as permitted by health and safety standards.
· Participate in all orientation and training sessions provided to the cohort.
· Directly shadow experienced attorneys working on immigration cases and serve as Attorney of the Day at the San Francisco Immigration Court, participate in Know Your Rights orientation sessions at immigration detention centers, and provide pro se assistance to detained individuals.
· With the assistance of Mentor Attorneys during initial training, work on a variety of immigration cases, including preparing applications, declarations, and supporting evidence as well as providing co-representation in immigration interviews, bond hearings, and removal hearings.
· Provide representation for individuals in a variety of immigration matters, including: preparing applications, declarations, and supporting evidence as well as providing representation in immigration interviews, bond hearings, and removal hearings under the guidance of the Mentor Attorney.
· Participate in on-going legal training and capacity building opportunities as well as regular case rounds sessions with the entire Fellowship cohort.
· Throughout Fellowship, Fellows will actively participate in ChangeLawyers’ leadership development activities including annual Fellows Convening and monthly webinars.
- Law school graduate including those who recently took the October 2020 bar exam.
- California or other state bar license preferred but not required.
- Record of experience or demonstrated commitment to serving immigrant communities.
- Prior experience working in an immigration legal service organization preferred but not required.
- Strong ties to California’s Central Coast and/or Central Valley regions, with a preference for those pursuing long-term careers in those regions.
- Willing to live and work in the Central Coast or Central Valley. Fellows must be open to working in any of the host organizations’ locations.
- Willingness and flexibility to be as responsive to community needs as needed.
- Able to travel frequently to the Bay Area and other locations for training and for legal representation.
- Must be fluent in Spanish.
- Strong writing skills and attention-to-detail.
- Diverse candidates from groups historically underrepresented in the legal profession are strongly encouraged to apply.
Position Details, Salary & Benefits
This is a two-year fellowship that will start in January 2021. Fellowship salary range is $65,000 p/year for recent law graduates and $70,000 p/year for licensed attorneys with prior experience. Medical benefits may be included.
To apply, please create a Submittable account below. If you are already a submittable user, please sign in below. In addition to the application itself, you will also be asked to upload an updated resume, and contact information for two references.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. The deadline to apply is Wednesday, November 11, 2020 at 11:59 PM PST.